Air Station Glenview Museum
Park & Memorial Brick Program
HangarOne and GTC
NASG Museum and Learning Center
Visit our Facebook Page!
(continued 5 of 7)
Naval and civilian entities coexisted at Glenview for about three years. Although civilian operations at the field were limited, United Airlines initiated Mainliner service from Curtiss to New York via Cleveland and Philadelphia in the spring of 1938. According to the local weekly newspaper, The Glenview View, United offered the service "as a convenience to West North Shore residents."
The Navy personnel
who managed the base were reservists who worked at the base during
the day and went home at night. Cadets in training slept in quarters
within Hangar One. Although there were no mess (food service) facilities,
the Navy contracted with the owner of a boarding house about a mile
away from the hangar to provide meals for the cadets. Three times
a day the men marched to "Ma" Bunge's; the food was said
to be excellent.
When it seemed
possible that the United States could become involved in the war
already well underway in Europe, the Navy moved to acquire the entire
Curtiss property. Early in 1940 the Curtiss-Wright Corporation received
a total of $530,000 for the hangar and the 319 acres that comprised
the airfield. The Navy drove quite a bargain, considering that Curtiss
had paid about $2 million to buy the land years earlier.
Following the bombing of
Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the Navy moved rapidly to expand its aviation
program. Accordingly, $12.5 million was appropriated for construction to bring
the Naval Reserve Aviation Base up to standards for a full primary training
facility. In just 121 working days, one of the largest and fastest paving jobs
ever undertaken in the midwest was completed. Almost 1.5 million square yards
of ground were covered with concrete for landing mats and runways. Seemingly
overnight the Navy had transformed the base into a self-contained community.
Hangars and administration and ground-school buildings appeared around Hangar
One, along with barracks, dining halls, a recreation hall, a fire house, a theater,
and a hospital. Construction was completed in late 1942, and on New Year's Day,
1943, the airfield moniker was officially changed to Naval Air Station Glenview
(NASG). Hangar One remained the largest and busiest building on the base.
Amidst the construction,
the Navy, beefed up its operations; nearly 350 aircraft and five thousand men
and women had been installed at Glenview by April 1942. The Navy initiated a
Carrier Qualification Training Program for advanced pilots, and under the direction
of Cmdr. Richard Whitehear, two converted Lake Michigan steamers were modified
to allow cadets to practice landing on a deck that resembled that of an aircraft
carrier. Both of these side-wheelers had their decks removed down to the water
line and were rebuilt to simulate aircraft carriers. The luxury lake excursion
ship S.S. Seandbee was commissioned the U.S.S. Wolverine and the
S.S. Greater City of Buffalo became the U.S.S. Sable. The Sable
and Wolverine were berthed at Navy Pier overnight and steamed northward
on Lake Michigan each morning to receive Avengers, Corsairs, and Hellcats and
their pilots. Hangar One was the point of departure for all aircraft and served
as the nerve center of flight operations.
Go to page